New Sideboard For the Entryway


In my attempts to create more storage in this house, I decided to hunt for a sideboard that we could put in the entryway to hold our books, vases, placemats, etc.  I patiently waited for 3 months until the guys at Patina Interiors found me the PERFECT piece!  Here are a few "before" pictures and some details about the supplies I used... 

Before
I forgot to take a picture of the sideboard with the original handles on it.  I decide to remove them before painting because I wanted to preserve their original color.  I actually liked the natural patina they had on them already and wanted to leave them as is.  

(Ignore the Chalk Paint sample, I was testing colors)
Materials I used for this project...
ASCP Country Gray, ASCP French Linen, AS Clear Wax, AS Dark Wax,  ASCP brush , & MelaMagic to clean my brush



As you can see, I store my Annie Sloan Chalk Paints in glass jars.  Spaghetti sauce jars are the best for this.  Being able to put a tight lid on them ensures that the paint doesn't mildew or dry out!  I added a cute label to all of my jars.  These labels are self sticking and I got them from Hobby Lobby for $2.50/24 pack.  I really like them because you can use just about any pen to write on them.  
***Sidenote: When I'm done with all of my painting projects, I always use Tough & Tender by Melaleuca to clean any surface that is going to be used on a daily basis.  Tough & Tender is an AMAZING product that cleans any surface but doesn't remove finishes and won't cause cancer!  Melamagic is another product made by Melaleuca that I use to clean my paint brushes.  It works better than any soap, paint remover, or mineral spirits and doesn't have a terrible odor.  SO many of the name brand household products contain chemicals that are known carcinogens!!!  I switched ALL of our household items (cleaners, bath & body products, sports drinks, vitamins, ointments, OTC meds, makeup, snacks, etc) to Melaleuca products and could not be happier!  I plan on doing a separate post about this and how Melaleuca plays an important role in my family's life today!
I painted the lower half of the sideboard with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Country Gray and the top part with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen.

During
The following pictures are after 2 coats of each color.  I had to do 2 coats in order to fully cover the dark wood, even with the French Linen.






After letting both coats dry, I applied 1 coat of Annie Sloan's Clear Wax followed by a coat of Annie Sloan's Dark Wax.  This piece was VERY easy to paint and turned out exactly the way I had in mind!!!  Now we have 5 additional drawers and 2 cabinets of storage, not to mention a lovely piece to cover up this empty wall in the entryway.  After the wax dried, I put the original handles back on and tah dah.......







SOURCE LIST:


Remember, when life hands you lemons turn them into something lovely!
-Marci

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,