Twin Headboard Makeover

When we first moved into our house, we decided to set up all of the bedrooms to fit as many house guests as possible!  Neither of our families live in the same town as us so we wanted to have enough beds to accommodate visitors.  I bought a twin bed and frame from Sam's Club and threw it in the office/craft room/now playroom, and told myself I would go back to it once I found a cool headboard.  Fast forward 4 years later, I finally got around to getting a headboard!  I wanted something that had character and would look good painted.  I of course found the perfect piece at my favorite consignment store, Patina Interiors!  They actually had a lot of good looking twin headboards to choose from!  Here is a before picture....

Ignore the painted spindles.  The bed did not come like that!  I was just testing paint colors, once again.  


I didn't want to have to go out and buy any new paint, so I used a can of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Gray that I already had leftover from another project.  I used my Annie Sloan brush to apply 2 coats of paint, followed by a coat of clear wax, and then a coat of dark wax.  I washed my brush in between each coat with Melamagic by Melaleuca.  (email me if you want more details about Melaleuca products)


I love the way it turned out!  I wasn't sure how it was going to look up against the walls in that room but I actually don't mind it. (I painted the walls 2 years ago in Fashion Gray by Behr and if I had my choice, I would not leave them this color, but I do not have time to repaint them right now!)  I've included a full source list at the end.    






Here are some detail shots...




This project was VERY easy and took me an hour total from start to finish! Now, whoever sleeps in this bed can have a headboard to lean up against instead of the wall!  It's amazing what a small headboard did for that room!  It makes it look like an actual bedroom now instead of an office with a mattress!  


Remember, when life hands you lemons, turn them into something lovely!  
-Marci

SOURCE LIST:

Labels: , , , , ,