Restoration Hardware Hack

After a LONG week of solid traveling and a day to play catch up, I am SO glad to be home!  We had a great Thanksgiving but I am exhausted!  Of course during our travels I found time to work on 2 upcycling projects.  I'm going to show you one of them today and the other next week! ( I hope to finish the second one this weekend) So my mother in law asked me if I wanted this mirror that came with their new house when they bought it....




At first I said no because we really didn't need a mirror.  But then I was looking through a Restoration Hardware Baby & Child catalogue and saw this beautiful, expensive bulletin board and a light bulb went off in my head!







So, I told my mother in law I would take the mirror after all!  My plan was to take the mirror out of the frame, paint the frame, and turn the center part into a bulletin board covered with some kind of fabric.

First, I painted it with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in French Linen.  This required 2 coats because of all of the intricate nooks and crannies of the frame.  Then, I removed the mirror.  (it was screwed into a board on the back of the frame)


Next, I took the board that held the old mirror in place and traced around it on a roll of cork board that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $8.99.  ($14.99 and I had a 40% off coupon)

roll of cork board.
it was very thin and cracked easily so I had to be very careful not to punch holes in it while rolling it out.



After tracing the cork roll, I secured it onto the board with a little hot glue .    



Then, I took some extra cotton duck fabric that I had leftover from another project and traced around the board just like I did the cork roll.  I then secured the fabric onto the cork with a little hot glue around the edges as well.  Now I have a brand new, fancy bulletin board that only cost me $8.99!  Ta da.....




Here are some detail shots of the frame...






If you are interested in making a bulletin board like this Restoration Hardware one, you could always go to any consignment store and find an old, cheap mirror or hit up the clearance section of Hobby Lobby or Kirklands.


Well that's it for today!  I hope to be back tomorrow with some Christmas decorating ideas!

Remember, when life hands you lemons turn them into something lovely!
-Marci 

Labels: , , , , ,