Faux Flower Makeover

Hello all!

I've been away from the blog much longer than I anticipated!  Our house has been full of workers finishing up a much needed kitchen/living room/hallway/dinning room facelift!  I cannot wait until it's done and I can share it with all of you!

For now, I'm going to show you a spur of the moment makeover I did over the weekend to a faux orchid potted plant from Target.  I bought this plant on sale from Target a year ago...

Excuse the mess in the background!  Our house was turned upside down for a few days.  This is a cell phone shot of the  faux orchid plant.  The blue line around the top is painters tape so use your imagination when picturing the original, solid, white pot that this plant came in.  



I actually saw a few more of these exact same orchids on sale at Target a few days ago!  I've kept it on our coffee table now for a year and stare at it every now and then because of it's modern, bright white pot. ( i don't mean this in a good way)  I love the flower (it's a really good fake) and have people ask me if it's real ALL the time, but wished the pot was a little more subtle and traditional.  Finally, while I was spending time with my sister this weekend, it dawned on me that I could paint the pot and change it's look completely!  So I did!

I started by taping off the top with 1" blue painters tape.  Then I painted the remaining white area with 2 coats of French Linen Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan.  Painting this pot was tricky.  The chalk paint needed extra drying time in between coats because the original finish was so shiny and nonporous.  I also had to be careful about my brush strokes and continuously paint in the same direction in order to keep the first coat of chalk paint from coming off.  After the French Linen dried completely, I very carefully pulled the blue painters tape off.  Next, I painted the remaining white stripe (where the blue tape use to be) with 2 coats of Liquid Leaf in Classic Gold from Hobby Lobby.  This paint stuck to the pot very easily and dried almost instantly.  Remember when using Liquid Leaf to always paint in a well ventilated area and do not let it touch your skin!  Here is the finished product.....






Goodbye cheesy modern white pot, hello pretty orchid!  Now that the stark white pot is gone, I notice the flower more on my coffee table!

Have a great week!  I'll be back soon with some more projects I've been working on.  

Remember, when life hands you lemons, turn them into something lovely!
-Marci 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,