Chalk Paint & Crackle Dresser

Hello again!

Today I have a quick post about a desk I painted to sell at my favorite local consignment store.  


Unfortunately, I don't have any "before" pictures to show you but here is one of the finished product.  Just imagine an old, dark, wooden desk as the "before"...



 My mom bought this piece for me from Patina Interiors Consignment Store shortly after we moved into our house, with the intention that I would use it as a vanity/makeup table in our bedroom.  This was its original purpose for about 3 years, and then it got moved into the office/craft room/guest room to be used as a sewing desk for my monogram machine.  Now that I have recently cleaned out and re-organized that room, (click here to see pictures if you missed that post) it's not really needed anymore.  So I figured it's time for someone else to enjoy this piece of furniture.  I have found it to be multi-functional (obviously) and I hope someone else will too!

I recently spruced it up to get ready to sell.

After replacing the original hardware with antique looking pulls from Hobby Lobby, I painted the whole piece first with Chelsea Gray by Benjamin Moore.  I didn't have to do any sanding since I started with raw wood.  I used 2 coats on the top because I knew that I was going to leave it a solid color.  After painting the drawers with 1 coat of Benjamin Moore Paint, I removed the hardware and sprayed them with a crackle finishing affect in Ivory from Lowe's. (except the middle drawer, I left this one plain underneath.  see pic below)

to apply, you simply just spray it on like spray paint

Then, after I could tell that the spray had hardened and a cracking affect appeared, I painted the lower half of the desk (leaving the top in Chelsea Gray) with a thin layer of chalk paint in French Linen from Annie Sloan.  The chalk paint went over the crackle nicely and the cracked affect showed through very subtle.  After the chalk paint dried, I waxed both the top and bottom parts of the piece with clear wax and then dark wax.  I love how the dark wax looks over the handles!!!  Here are several detail shots of the finished piece...













glass bottles-Homegoods


Well that's it for today.  I LOVE how EASY painting with Chalk Paint can be!  It really does work well with other mediums and paint finishes.  If you've ever used chalk paint with another product that you thought worked out well, email me and tell me about it or comment on our Instagram (@lemonstolovelys) or Facebook page.

One of the next projects on my list is to try using chalk paint on canvas?!?  We'll see how that goes.

Have a great day everyone!

Remember, when life hands you lemons, turn them into something lovely!
Marci

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,